Wednesday, September 15, 2010

what were you born in a barn, man?

No, but sometimes I feel like I’m in a Zoo. I’m actually on an animal buying ban, sounds dreadful doesn’t it. I never noticed I had this ‘thing’ for creatures but there they are on my wall, in my kitchen, on my mantelpiece and even on my couch!

First meet two of my first pets. This is Sylvia on the left, her namesake is Sylvia Plath. My Sylvia came from Chapel Street Bazaar and sadly one day took a fall (suicide? Who knows) of the mantelpiece. I think I might have missed my call in life as a plastic surgeon because don’t you think my job is seamless? It did take two tubes of superglue and end up in me having a contact high and needing to go for a little walkies.

Next to her is Saul. Saul was a gift from a friend KC who found him in rural Victoria, she thought Sylvia could do with some cheering up and brought him home to her. There was no way I was calling him Ted or Hughesy.

You’ve all met Owlbert before in my first post. He moves around a lot and even ends up on the floor when the cats (the real ones, not the ceramic ones) poach him. Speaking of cats, this is Sphinxy. She’s very elegant and I love her ever so slight head tilt.

My horse lamp, Jorge (Spanish pronunciation please) lights up my life too.

Now let’s move along the Elephant enclosure. Isn’t the Moritz Elephant the most jolly elephant you’ve ever seen? I wonder what he’s laughing about with heart tongue.

Now these two lovers come from the Chor Markets in Bombay. I think this translates to the Theives Markets and it’s my favourite place in Bombay but before that they hailed from the Indian state Gujarat.

And look! A deer and a cat cohabitating nicely on the couch together. That’s Jezebel, she’s often quite mean.

Oh and this picture is an ode to Harry. I saw it in Venice and thought that they looked so alike. Even those magnets are animals. Oy vey I am insane.


No comments:

Post a Comment