Sunday, February 6, 2011

cafe blah blah

I often feel a little sorry for wait staff on Sunday mornings and so give them a bit of leeway when an order goes missing or gets stuffed up. I can’t imagine anything worse than being hung over and serving eggs. The staff at Cafe Blah Blah on Ormond Road in Elwood seemed to be a bit dazed however I don’t think this can be contributed to a hangover as the mean age look about 16 years old.

We sat down (after bypassing a packed Jimmi Jamz which is where we had intended to go) and 5 minutes later were handed our menus. Five minutes later we ordered two bloody marys, Eggs Benedict for Chris and scrambled eggs with bacon and tomato for me. Twenty minutes later we still hadn’t been served our drinks and a table outside had left after waiting for their order to be taken. Now, I’m not usually one to be precious and if they'd been really busy then I'd be fine about the situation but I was getting a bit hangry – that’s a combination of hungry and angry.

Finally our bloody marys were delivered. Hot tomato juice, no Tabasco sauce and quite frankly nothing makes my stomach lurch like a cucumber garnish. I just can’t stand the smell of the stuff. I managed to grab one of the waiters eyes and asked for some cracked pepper to help add a bit of spice. My old flatmate would have given this request a Tone Warning.


Breakfast was delivered quite a bit later. Chris’s Eggs Benny came out with a thin hollandaise sparsely covering overcooked eggs and ham that looked like it came out of plastic packaging. I took a few bites of my breakfast and pushed it away. It left me with a mouth that felt like it was coated in oil. Oil that had cooked a thousand rashers of bacon then left to cool and then heated up and used again to fry up some eggs.


We left thinking never again. On our way to the car we walked past a much quieter Jimmi Jamz, looked in lustfully, went home and I had cold pizza for breakfast.

(I was unsure whether to post this blog - I feel like an absolute bitch - or just leave it be but after paying $46 for the worst breakfast I've had in a very long time I had to get it off my chest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment