Sunday, August 1, 2010

cafe di stasio

There's a rumour that when you go to Cicciolina on Acland Street they make you have a drink in the bar before you sit down. This isn't such a hard task unless you are famished and ready to start gnawing at your arm like the first time Chris and I tried to go. We ended up with seafoody juices running down our arms at Claypots instead.

The second time we tried to go was last night and I think the whole of St Kilda must have had a hankering for some pasta as the wait at the bar was 3 people deep. We ended up hailing a taxi and whipping up to Cafe Di Stasio on Fitzroy Street.



Our meal started with some free Arancini Balls which were tasty but a little bit soggy. We then shared the Oysters of the Day which were baked with horseradish and parmesan cheese. I don't like to order natural oysters when I'm out to dinner because I figure I can have them at home, but then I am always disappointed and wish I had ordered the natural ones. It's a vicious oyster ordering cycle.

We weren't that hungry so we both opted for an Il Secondo to follow. I had the Saltimbocca con Gnocchi which was an escalope of veal with prosciutto, fresh sage and semolina gnocchi. There was a great lemony tang to the dish which made it delicious and light. Chris ordered the Tagliata Di Manzo which was rare eye fillet steak with truffled dressing and a roast tomato on the side. The tomato was amazing, like a piece of art really.

The main highlights of the meal for me was the butter that came with the bread (I know! It surprised me as well) and the wine, Jasper Hill Georgia's Paddock Viognier. All in all it was a nice meal, especially with the pretty lighting and lovely service, however, probably a bit expensive for what was meant to be a casual Sunday dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment