Wednesday, August 25, 2010

the deus

I didn’t know much about the beer DeuS Les Brut de Flanders except that it was Belgian and cost $65 a bottle. Recently, the wholesalers have dropped their prices so it’s now $40 a pop. And pop it does! I had my first taste today and looked incredulously at Chris and said “But it tastes like Champagne!” and so maybe I have found my perfect beer. Is it a session beer? Yes! If only I could just afford it.



The beer is brewed in Belgium and then shipped off to the underground caves of Epernay in the French region of Champagne. This is where the riddling process begins and I guess where the Champagney taste comes from.

I was in Champagne earlier this year and was completely entranced by all these underground tunnels filled with champagne. I also found it pretty amazing that people were drinking Champagne before Australia was even put on the map. Here is me on the Avenue de Champagne in Epernay.




We visited most of the grand old champagne houses in Epernay, worshipped at the altar of monk Dom and visited Madame Veuve Clicquot in Reims. My birth year is a Veuve vintage.




My mother kept saying “What if someone bombed these caves! They’d be no champagne for years!" Oy vey, to live in a world without champagne and beer that tastes like champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment